Parish, Deanery & Diocese

Our
parish of Ss Alban & Stephen is in the City of St. Albans and is one of seventeen parishes in the St Albans deanery.  It's one of two parishes serving the City of St Albans, the other being St Bartholomew's parish.
       



The Parish
With over 1,500 regular attendances at Sunday Mass, and with five masses every Sunday (including the Saturday vigil) in the Church, plus one at each of two mass centres, it is one the three largest  parishes in the Hertfordshire Pastoral Area
           
  The St Albans deanery is one of five deaneries in the Pastoral Area of Hertfordshire which in turn is one five Pastoral Areas in the Diocese of Westminster

  Despite being part of the Diocese the parish of Ss Alban & Stephen is served by priests from the Order of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart





History  
The parish "began" in 1840, although Mass was initially celebrated at a number of makeshift and temporary locations, including the White Hart pub!

The church as we know it today was built in 1904.  

When the nave was completed the church was dedicated and blessed by Most Rev. Francis Boume, Archbishop of Westminster on New Year's Day 1905

Building work carried on from time to time up until 1966, when
the side aisles were added, the Church was lengthened back towards the railway, and the tower was added.

In 2005, Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor led us in our celebration of the centenary of that pivotal event in the history of the parish.  

At the start of a new millennium the Catholic community has become an integral part of the religious, civic and social life of St Albans.

From our small beginning we now have a splendid church, five schools to nurture our children, an incredibly evangelistic parish, as this website shows, and a wonderful history of Christian witness and public service.

Many thanks to the late James Corbett, the late Malcolm Smith, Geoff Miller and to Fr Jerry for their input into creating this online history.


There's plenty of information about the history of the parish on this website on our history page




Schools
There are eight Catholic Schools (Junior, Mixed, Infants and Secondary) in the parish, as well as the Maryland Convent.

             
Pastoral Council
The parish is an active one.  The Parish Pastoral Council (PPC) is made of around 12 lay people and the clergy, ad
meets every month.  The PPC has links to over 50 active groups within the parish

Multicultural - we are blessed in our parish to draw parishioners form far and wide,  particularly from Ireland, Italy, Poland, Hungary and Slovakia, and many of our ethnic groups have their own web pages here - please do visit them. If you too are from overseas and you'd like your own web pages, do let us know
St Albans Abbey

The main church is only 1km from the St Albans Abbey, with 
whom the parish has close links, including the weekly celebration there of Holy Mass.


     

Main Navigation 2009
Welcome
Welcome    
Newsletter

Mass Times
Priests
Calendar
Register
 
       
Youth
Mass Centres
Schools
Hospitals
Maps
                  
Home
             
Main Navigation 2009      
Our Parish
     
Pastoral Council
The PPC Team
Constitution
Priority Groups
   Comms  
   Worship  
   Community
  
J & Peace  
   Mission  
   Youth  
Assembly 2011
       
     
Other
The New Mass
Directory
Safeguarding
Rotas

     

 © Ss Alban & Stephen Catholic Church, 2010